I love this time of year! Holiday decorations, cookies, the potential of snow, and best-of lists. I decided to put together a list of my own, in addition to a best books guide that looks at the year’s award-winners and heavy-hitters.
I’d also like to take a moment to say a fond farewell to one of my favorite writers. Barbara Mertz (a.k.a. Elizabeth Peters & Barbara Michaels) passed away this year and was best known for her Amelia Peabody and Vicky Bliss mystery series. I don’t know where I’d be today without Amelia Peabody wielding her parasol and lovingly drugging her family with laudanum. Mertz’s final words written for her website were,
“At 85, Elizabeth Peters (aka Barbara Michaels) is enjoying her cats, her garden, lots of chocolate, and not nearly enough gin.”
You will be deeply missed!
But now to quote another Mertz (Ethel), “But enough of the sentiment, on with the show.”
Books Rekindled Best of 2013
These are the best books I read this year. Most, thought not all, came out or saw their paperback release in 2013. Here they are, in no particular order–except for Flora & Ulysses; I think that was my very favorite.
- Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo (Children’s, Adventure) Review Buy
- Wonder Show by Hannah Barnaby (Children’s/YA, Adventure) Review Buy
- Constable & Toop by Gareth P. Jones (Children’s/YA, Mystery) Review Buy
- Reality Boy by A.S. King (YA) Review Buy
- Scowler by Daniel Kraus (YA, Horror) Review Buy
- A Wilderness of Error by Errol Morris (Adult Nonfiction, Criminal Justice) Review Buy
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Adult Fiction, Dark Fairytale) Review Buy
- Divergent by Veronica Roth (YA, Dystopian) Buy
- Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris (Adult Nonfiction, Humor Essays) Review Buy
- Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (Adult Fiction, Mystery/Adventure) Review Buy
Lists Upon Lists!
I’ve gathered up a number of lists going around if you need to dig a little deeper (or broader) in your quest for new books. Some adult fiction titles that I’ve seen appearing on many of them, and that I’m itching to get my hands on, include:
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
- A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
- The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- MaddAddam (Oryx & Crake) by Margaret Atwood
- The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Okay, this wasn’t on any lists, but my good friend and trusted fellow-reader, Emily–over at League of Whimsy, told me it was magical.)
Still Haven’t Had Enough?! You’re On Your Own Now
- Goodreads Best Books 2013 (Goodreads Choice Awards)
- 2013 National Book Award winner & finalists
Children’s & Young Adult
HAPPY HOLIDAYS & HAPPY READING!